Jeon Do-Yeon Wins Best Actress Award at Cannes



``I can't believe I'm here. I heard there are so many actresses here who poured out their soul in great films, I'm not sure if I am qualified to be here,'' Jeon, clad in a shiny golden dress, said in an accepting speech at the awards ceremony in Cannes.

``But I thank the Cannes film fest for giving me this honor. What would have been impossible with myself alone became possible thanks to director Lee and Song Gang-ho,'' she said, referring to her co-star in the film.

Cannes was the first exposure to an international film festival for the veteran actress, who has won many domestic film awards.

``I am so honored to have my first experience at Cannes,'' she said in a press conference. ``I tried to calm myself down, telling myself that nothing would happen to me. I wanted to hide when somebody spoke of expectations. Now I'm glad and grateful that they turned into messages of support and celebrations.''

The year is turning out to be a lucky one for Jeon. She's a newly wed, having married a businessman nine years her senior in March in an intimate ceremony.

``They honored me with many prizes in Korea, but winning the best actress in Cannes will remain a great achievement in my life,'' she said. Asked what the marriage means to her, she said smiling, ``One of my life's biggest presents.''